A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.
I’ve always assumed that Jesus was making an “if–then” statement in the above verse. In other words, “Since I love you, therefore you should love one another, too.”
But what if “As…so” means: “In the same way I love you, thus you must love one another.”
And in WHAT way did Jesus love them? How would He answer that?
- I loved you by humbling myself to serve you.
- I loved you meekly, not overwhelming you with displays of power to intimidate you.
- I always wanted what my Father God wanted for you. I challenged your thinking gently but persistently.
- I met your physical needs.
- I sacrificed My life for you.
- I showed you the Father.
Lord Jesus, help me to love others the way you love, today, tomorrow and every day.